Free Shipping for Online Orders. Terms and conditions apply.
Technical Articles / White Papers
In order for Oriental Motor to be a world leader in motion systems for the last century, we have concentrated on technological advancement and product design improvement. The technical articles available here describe the ideas, concepts, methods and results of some of the research activities undertaken by the Engineers in our factories and R&D Center.
Brushless DC Motor (BLDC Motor) Technical Articles / White Papers
Brushless DC gear motors from Oriental Motor can achieve up to 970 lb-in of torque when combined with a standard geared option and with their space savings design contribute to a compact and powerful solution ranging from 15 W up to 400 W. With their flat torque, can produce rated torque from low to high speeds easily. Brushless DC gear motors also feature a wide variety of pre-assembled geared and electromechanical break options and are available with our industry leading stable lead times.
Brushless DC Motor Application Articles
- Performance Improvement of BLH Series Driver- The BLH driver has been improved to have a focus on “speed performance tracking improvement” and “noise reduction”.
- Design and Basic Technology for Watertight, Dust-Resistant Brushless Motors - Oriental Motor has expanded the product lineup of the BMU and BLE2 brushless motor series to now include dust and water resistant specifications.
- AGV/AMR Designs: Understanding Brushless Motor Benefits - With an evolving competitive market over the years leading to IOT (Internet of Things) or Industry 4.0., manufacturers are looking for smarter ways to get ahead of their competition. An example of this is the growing trend of Automated Guided Vehicles (AGVs) and Autonomous Mobile Robots (AMRs), as well as an increase in automated storage and retrieval systems in both warehouses and manufacturing facilities. In this paper, we will provide an introduction to AGV/AMR and discuss why features and characteristics of geared brushless DC motors make them attractive for AGV/AMR’s drivetrain designs.
- 10 Standard Features for AGV/AMR Powertrain Applications - Oriental Motor offers the BLV Series brushless DC motors and dedicated drivers with features designed for battery powered material handling applications such as Automated Guided Vehicles (AGVs) or Autonomous Mobile Robot (AMRs). In this white paper, we will discuss how each of the BLV Series standard features can help make product development easier.
- Features of the BMU Series Brushless DC Gear Motor and Driver - Brushless DC gear motors have been used as the driving source in a variety of equipment and devices. In recent years, the demand for smaller machines and lower energy costs has increased. Naturally, these demands have passed down to the motor as well. The BMU series motor and driver package combines a brushless DC gear motor with a new driver for easy use. Compared with conventional motors, brushless DC gear motors are more compact, lighter in weight, and more energy efficient. In this paper, we describe the technology used to achieve the brushless DC gear motor's high efficiency and the features of the new BMU driver.
- How to select between AC, Brushless DC and Brushed DC Motors - Comparison of speed control motor technology.
- Hypoid vs. Worm Gear - There is an alternative to worm gear sets: the hypoid gear. Typically used in automotive applications, gearmotor companies have begun integrating hypoid gearing into right-angle gearmotors to solve the problems that arise with worm reducers.
- Calculating Stopping Accuracy of Brushless DC Gear Motors - Stepper motors and servo motors with excellent stopping accuracy are commonly used when performing high-precision positioning operation. However, depending on usage conditions, brushless DC gear motors can stop with an overrun of several mm, with simple hall effect sensors used for speed control feedback. This paper explains this overrun, how to calculate stopping accuracy using overrun characteristics (typical value) of brushless DC gear motors, and two methods to improve stopping accuracy.
- Industrial Network Communications - FLEX products - In order to meet various requirements, Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) and motors/drivers in equipment have been connected in numerous ways, such as pulse train, digital I/O, and fieldbus networks. We have developed products that can be connected to multiple industrial networks. They can be connected to an I/O device and Modbus RTU network. They can also be connected to other field bus networks through a Network Converter (our gateway product). The products can be flexibly connected to a host PLC and it allow customers to select a system depending on their needs. We call this concept FLEX. Since some of the FLEX products have a positioning function, positioning units of host PLCs can be omitted and costs of equipment can be reduced. The FLEX products allow customers to reduce costs and time of developing equipment by using each merit of industrial networks.
Brushless DC Motor Fundamentals
- Brushless DC Gear Motor Overview - an introduction to Brushless DC motor technology.
- Brushless DC Gear Motors vs Servo Motors vs Inverters - When it comes to speed control, you may think the choice is between an inverter driven three-phase motor or servo motor, but did you know that brushless DC gear motors specialize in speed control? The brushless DC motor is growing in popularity in the world of speed control. However, not everyone is familiar with the power and performance to cost aspects of the brushless DC motor. Even in usage situations where it has demonstrated its capabilities, it tends to lag behind the two leading players, the inverter driven three-phase motor and the servo motor. This article introduces the capability of brushless DC gear motors, as well as points to consider when choosing a compact speed control motor.
- Speed Control Methods of Various Types of Speed Control Motors - A large number of motors are being used for general purposes in our surroundings from house-hold equipment to machine tools in industrial facilities. The electric motor is now a necessary and indispensable source of power in many industries. The function and the performance required for these motors are wide-ranging. When focusing attention on the speed control segment of the motor market, servo and stepper motors control their speed with a pulse train, while the induction motor and the brushless DC gear motor control speed with an external resistor and/or DC voltage.
- IP Ratings - Degree of Protection - The dust-resistance and waterproofing degrees of protection for the equipment are classified according to EN 60529 (Specification Degrees of Protection Provided by Enclosures (IP Code)) (=IEC 60529), EN 60034-5 (Rotating Electrical Machines - Part 5: Degrees of Protection Provided by The Integral Design of Rotating Electrical Machines (IP Code) – Classification) (=IEC 60034-5).
Monday to Friday
8:30am EST to 5:00pm PST
Sales & Customer Service: